- Clarification on content
- Timely feedback on demonstrated performance and understanding
- Spontaneous activities and explanations
- Interaction with the instructor and classmates
- Student-driven discussion and Q&A
- A sense of community and humanity
*I do not wish to discount or belittle self-trained instructors. I simply want to emphasize that learning the strategies and techniques for teaching online often leads to success, whereas instructors who do not learn and apply best practices often fall short, even if their intentions are good and their classroom teaching skills are noteworthy.